Friday, August 25, 2017

Smoking update...


It's been two months since i quit smoking. P is puffing away on an e-cigarette and it would have been easier for me too. Why the hell do i want easy for? Giving up smoking has been like climbing a mountain. Barefoot. I was ready for the challenge, though. Becoming vegetarian is next. If you put your mind to it, there's nothing you can't do. P is weak-willed and will start puffing on the fags again. She has no will power to do anything. She should set herself the task of not talking while people are eating, but she can't even do that.

Giving up smoking is something you have to do one day at a time. There is no other way to do it. You rack the days up, one by one. The craving never goes away. You have to realise that when you start. If it is so easy to do, people like P would give up every day as long as there was a fag in it for her. Remember, at the end of everyday, to make a big issue of it. My way was to take the piss out of P and make her feel like the bag lady she really is. In your mind take every opportunity to rub it in. Don't feel sorry for her. She can do that for herself. Your mission is to give up smoking and that's all you have to do.

It's not your problem to look out for other people. Just do it for yourself, Worrying about other people is not your priority and you need to be very single-minded about that. There are those who want you to fail.
Well, we tried, didn't we? they'll say. Smoking is so addictive that they'll try every trick in the book to make you start again. Fighting the urge to give in is better when you see how much money you've saved. It's a great motivator..

Some people will never give up fag-smoking. It's in their DNA. You're not going to be one of them.
When X coughs up his guts every morning remember that that could have been you. He really needs to give up now, but he hasn't got the will-power to do it. Next year he could be dying from cancer or have one of the many illnesses associated with smoking. He took a gamble and it hasn't come off. He'll always rue the day he started to smoke.

15 comments:

  1. Congratulation.
    Vegetarian or vegan? I have been vegetarian for years and am inching my way to veganism. Cheese is my sticking point. I do love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just vegetarian. It can't be THAT difficult to do.

      Delete
  2. Quitting smoking is something you should be very proud of. I quit 11 years ago and have never looked back. Best thing I ever did, primarily for my health. Vegetarianism is something that I'm inching towards. The older I get, the less meat appeals to me. I don't eat much per week and that suits me just fine. You are right. If you are really determined, you can accomplish whatever you want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Martha, vegetarianism is something that I want to try.

      Delete
  3. Keep up the good work and be proud of it. I gave up smoking nearly forty years ago and am still proud of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Valerie, I was just reading your new post. Thanks for the comment. I am proud of it. I can hear James next door throwing his guts up and doing impressions of Concorde coming in to land. If anything gives me the incentive, I don't really need it, that does.

      Delete
  4. Good for you for quitting.
    I've never smoked.
    Thanks for visiting my blog.
    Actually I did have toast for breakfast yesterday! It was zucchini bread toast. What made you think I did? : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must have been in a frustrated mood yesterday because I don't usually make such assumptions about anyone. I apologise. It's A very good blog. It definitively caught my attention with its green background and unusual typeface.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never smoked, but friends who have and have now given up said it was the best thing they'd ever done. I don't think they found it easy but they were determined and stuck at it. Good for you for quitting.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan. Giving up is so important to me. I won't be smoking again.

      Delete
  7. I'm so impressed that you quit! It's hard for most people. The lucky ones just decide to stop and never mind it. But most are physically dependent on it and that makes it hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny - if I don't quit, I lose all self-respect. Anyway, I HAVE given it up so there.

      Delete

I don’t know a lot of things and my memory has seen better times.  We can’t know everything that is going to happen, but everything does fo...